After snowstorms and freezing temperatures have pummeled many cities across the United States this winter, the long-awaited arrival of spring is nearly within reach. Officially spring season arrives on March 20.
Tripadvisor recently released its seasonal Spring Travel Index, using a combination of search and sentiment data to reveal what – and where – is hot this spring. After a slower winter with new variants curbing many vacation plans, travel is in full bloom this spring, according to a news release.
Despite the rising cost of fuel and inflation overall, people aren’t willing to let this hamper their spring travel plans.
Over half of Americans (53%) are planning on traveling this spring (March 1 – May 31, 2022), with over a third (39%) planning on taking two or more trips. This is up significantly from just over a third (35%) of Americans who reported traveling this winter (December 1, 2021 – February 28, 2022).
On top of more travelers, travelers are also planning to splash more cash. Of Americans who traveled last spring and plan to do so again, over half (51%) plan to spend more than they did in 2021, including nearly a quarter (23%) planning to spend “significantly more.” Tripadvisor site data shows that the average spend per booking for U.S. travelers this spring is up a massive 87% year-over-year.
Tripadvisor search data shows that the most popular travel dates for Americans this spring are March 31, March 11, and March 12, respectively, meaning busier skies and roads are right around the corner.
Where are They Headed?
Although domestic travel is still most common for Americans, as 77% say they’ll travel within the U.S. between March and May this year, interest in travel internationally is bouncing back in a big way. Nearly a quarter of Americans (23%) plan to travel internationally this spring. Seven of the top 10 fastest growing destinations this spring (based on places with the greatest YOY growth) are outside the U.S. It’s the iconic European cities Paris, London, and Rome that makes up the top three trending international destinations for travel this spring, the news release added.
In the U.S., destinations in Hawaii are seeing the greatest growth YOY, likely a result of the state recently relaxing its travel restrictions. As for what destination may welcome the most visitors overall, it’s Orlando, Florida as the most popular destination for U.S. travelers this spring. Orlando is a perennial popular spring travel destination for families on vacation. Meanwhile, our southern neighbor, Cancun, Mexico is the most popular international destination Americans are planning to visit this spring.
10 Most Popular Spring Travel
10 Fastest-Growing Spring Travel
5. Rome, Italy
10. Honolulu, Hawaii
10. Venice, Italy
Top Spring Travel Activities
Unsurprisingly, given the toll of the pandemic on us over the past two years, Americans cited rest and relaxation as the most popular purpose for their trips this spring (51%). This is followed closely by escaping the day-to-day life (49%) and visiting family and friends (44%).
Nearly half (45%) of Americans said that they’re looking to experience something new and unique on their next trip. The top five trending experiences categories Americans are booking for spring 2022 include a mix of cultural activities and adventure: 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours, Snorkeling, and Wine Tasting & Winery Tours.
Highly rated experiences in these categories available to book on Tripadvisor this spring include*:
- Half-Day Mojave Desert ATV Tour from Las Vegas – top-rated 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tour
- Miami to Key West Day Trip with Optional Activities – top rated Day Trip
- Charleston’s Old South Carriage Historic Horse & Carriage Tour – top-rated Cultural Tour
- Turtle Canyon Catamaran Snorkel Cruise from Waikiki – top-rated Snorkeling
- 5 Hour Traverse City Wine Tour: 4 Wineries on Old Mission Peninsula – top rated Wine Tasting & Winery Tour
The top three searched and booked amenities in accommodations this spring include a pool, bar/lounge, and restaurant. Meanwhile, road trips remain the most popular trip type this spring (44%), followed by beach trips (39%), and shopping trips (30%).
The data cited was gathered and analyzed from two key sources:
- A Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of over 5,000 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between February 22, 2022, through February 28, 2022, across six countries – U.S., UK, Australia, Italy, Singapore, and Japan.
- Site behavioral data sourced from first-party traffic data on the Tripadvisor platform gathered during the week commencing February 21, 2022, for searches made by US travelers from January 1, 2022, through February 22, 2022, for travel between March 1, 2022, through May 31, 2022.
*Experiences based on highly-rated products within the top trending categories Americans are booking for spring 2022.