After the IRS rejects an offer in compromise, taxpayers have 30 days from the date on the rejection letter to request an appeal of the decision.

To request an appeal, taxpayers file Form 13711, Request for Appeal of Offer in Compromise, or mail a letter to the IRS with certain information about their situation. Taxpayers should mail their request for an appeal to the office that sent them the rejection letter, according to a news release.

How to Decide Whether to Submit an Appeal

To figure out whether to submit an appeal, taxpayers should review the Income/Expense and Asset/Equity Tables that came with the OIC rejection letter and Form 656, Offer in Compromise.

Taxpayers should also gather and review the following documents.

Corporations, S corporations, partnerships, tax-exempt organizations, and limited liability companies are defined as a corporation and other LLCs:

Individual Wage Earners and Self-employed:

Address Reasons for Disagreement, Provide Supporting Docs

For each area of the offer in compromise rejection where the taxpayer disagrees with the IRS, they need to provide documents to support the income item, expense item, and asset value they dispute. For details on the supporting documents and kinds of records to keep, see Section 10 of Form 433-A and Section 7 of Form 433-B in Form 656-B, Offer in Compromise (Booklet)

More Information:

Source: IRS